September 02, 2015

Apfeltorte

No idea what's going on? Try here! 



Just so everybody knows- it's actually still the 1st if September today. Which means that the MoFo theme for today is still "Rise and Shine it's MoFo time!" We'll get to tomorrow/today in a bit. But I still have two posts from yesterday that didn't quite make it. 

Apfeltorte isn't exactly a breakfast food- but it is a morning food. And I tried to make it a bit healthier. To make it a unhealthy breakfast food. I mean- it has fruit in it- it's got to be better than Coco Pops- right? And saying "I'm having cake for breakfast" just sound's... fancy. 

It is said relatively often in the books that 'Apfeltorte' is not actually a tart like it sounds like (which I guess would be like a cross between an apple sauce jam tart and a tarte tatin - maybe an upside down apple sauce filled jam tart?) but more of a cake. I ended up with a very dense cake- I'm not sure it is a cake really- or more of a bake. But- apparently it wasn't too bad (I don't like any cake so can't really comment- my Mom said it wasn't too bad- but not sweet enough - but she always says that!) 

If cake for breakfast if just too unhealthy- enjoy it for brunch. Or the wonderful custom of Kaffee and Kuchen - which is like an English Tea - but much more fun and interesting. If you want to be decadent- you could do worse. And the characters in the books seem to eat it fairly often so it can't be that bad! And that's before I tried to make it more breakfast suitable!  

I wasn't really sure what a Apfeltorte should be like- so I decided to adapt this yogurt cake (which is not vegan) into an apfeltorte (which is vegan). 


Apfeltorte 
(I made 12 pieces)

  • 1 1/4 cups vegan yogurt (I used soy yogurt)
  • 1 1/4 cups plain fine wholemeal flour (wholemeal pastry flour)
  • 2 1/2 cups of plain white flour
  • 1/4 of a teaspoon of ground ginger
  • 1/4 of a teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground cardamom
  • 5 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/2 a cup of sugar
  • 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 cup of chopped apple

  • Preheat the oven to 180C
  • Mix the flours and spices together in a large mixing bowl and set aside. 
  • Whisk together the rest of the ingredients (apart from the apple) till they are all combined
  • Fold the wet ingredients into the dry (like you're making muffins) and when it is almost all folded in- add the apple. Don't over-mix. 
  • Transfer to a lined/greased baking tin- I used a 8" square tin but if you have a larger one that may work better. If you want you can decorate the top of the cake with apple slices- go crazy. 
  • Bake the cake for at least 50 minutes- but expect it to take longer as the apple increases the cooking time. Mine took more like an hour and a half- but our oven isn't the best for timings (it's so old the repairman won't fix it)
  • It seems that it's best to let the cake cool before you try and cut it- at least partially. Also- be warned that this cake is quite heavy (the baking pan was practically overflowing) and although uncooked cake won't kill you (the joys of egg-less cooking!) it won't taste very nice- so be sure to check that it's cooked all the way through!



6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love how you have cut the apples and decorated the top. Pretty awesome. Nice to make your acquaintance through Vegan MOfo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's MoFo.... I have to at least make an effort!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I think it looks and sounds really good - I definitely like the idea of cake for breakfast! and unlike your mom, I would appreciate it if it isn't too sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on liking it less sweet- we have the same conversation about everything I make!

      Delete
  3. Oh WOW!!!!!! Almost like an apple pie type flavor? YUM!

    ReplyDelete