September 30, 2015

Warm Applesauce Drink

Not sure what's going on? Try here

21. What three endless food supplies would you take if you were going to be stranded on an island? (Imagine your nutritional needs have been met, these are a bonus!)


Right.... so number 3 was difficult to decide.... but the first, and then the second foods I would take were easy to decide. Basically - what is my favorite food that I am never going to get tired of? 

So.... number one. I should possibly say apples- because they are more versatile in their raw form - but I have a feeling that if I was stranded on an island - my biggest problem would not be making applesauce on some makeshift cooker out of a fire I have no idea how I would light (it's not a skill that I have yet mastered) and so maybe I'm better just taking the applesauce already .... well.... turned into apple sauce. 

This isn't really a recipe - more an idea accompanied by a unsatisfactory photograph - but.... 

One way that I really like to have my applesauce is mixed with milk - and heated up - I guess to try and make a sort of apple hot chocolate. I normally mix about 1/4 cup of applesauce with 1 cup of milk. I just heat it gently over the stove-top as I would if I was making oatmeal - but I'm pretty sure that it would also work in the microwave. This ratio doesn't produce a intensely applesauce-y drink - more like a warm milky drink with a sweet apple-y flavor. 

So I guess that it isn't really applesauce any more - more like a milky applesauce drink - but if you want a more intense applesauce you could always either increase the applesauce to milk ratio, or it swap the milk for either apple juice or water. 

But it's warm and comforting.... and good if you want a non-chocolate alternative to tea. Also - if you cook it over the stove- you get the warmth from cooking it as well as from drinking it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment